Friday, August 9, 2013

12

Well hello there, it's been a while! In fact, the last time we talked, I was 9 days post-partum, and still in heavy duty recovery mode. Well, a lot has changed since then. For starters, Mister Finn is now 12 weeks and 2 days old. Hard to believe how fast the time flies when you have a baby! I was warned by everyone to enjoy my pregnancy, and then enjoy every little moment after they are born, because every moment is fleeting. Truer words have never been spoken. My heart breaks when I think about how quickly the past 12 weeks have gone by. Bobby and I are now adjusted to running on very little sleeps. Finn has given us a few breaks here and there by sleeping for 6 -7 hours at a time. But just when we think he might be skipping his mid-night feeding he throws us off course and wakes up for it. Last night, after 4 or 5 consecutive nights of skipping a feeding, he decided to mess himself up completely. After an hour of crying and screaming (brought to you by colic), he finally crashed at 8:30, and knowing he had a feeding at 9:30, I was in a panic, and not sure what to do. Bobby convinced me to put him down for a little sleep if he was willing to sleep, so we could have some quiet time. So I put him down, and decided to lay down and rest my back as well. He slept for the entire hour until his feeding, and I made the decision to wake him up for his feeding, hoping he would stick to his usual schedule of feeding around 9:30 or 10, and falling asleep by 11, and then not waking up until about 5:30. Not a chance! He did go right back to sleep, but he was awake again at 1am, and didn't go back to sleep until 3. Bobby had to  He was awake off and on to the point that I (sigh) took him in bed with me. He slept with me on and off, between sulking until 7. We've been up for the day ever since!
So there is a typical night of sleep at the Jack/Ferguson house. Fortunately, Bobby is landing his lobster gear today, and I will finally have the ability to sleep, or at least stay in bed for a feeding here and there for a while. We made the agreement that one he was done of fishing, we would take turns getting up for the feedings at night. Neither of us is usually able to sleep through the feeding, even if the other one has the baby, but it will be nice to not have to be the one to get out of bed to prepare the bottle. So yes, you read that correctly, I am not nursing. I'm sure the members of the La Leche group are shitting their pants in a raging fury at reading this. Is it just me, or is there this huge network at crazy women out there who literally try to shove nursing down your throat? As soon as you get pregnant, you get bombarded by women (and sometimes men) asking you, 'are you going to nurse?' 'it's SO good for the baby!' Yes, yes, I know it's good for the baby, but my cracked nipples, and aching back and stained bras feel like a good formula will do the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I tried my hardest, there was sweat and tears, from both myself and Finn. But after six weeks, I had to say enough is enough. Finn has now gone through three different formulas, and the third was a charm. He is adjusting well, seems happy (aside from the colic). I also enjoy that Bobby can help me with the feedings, and I have been able to have family take him (even for the night!) so that I can go fishing with Bobby a couple times a week. I'm sure nursing is everything people say it is, but it just wasn't for me, or Finn.
I wish I could share a bit more, but this blog is interuppted by the squeals of my sweet babe! Hold onto your hats! Ill be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment