Sleep-training. It sounds like natural process, right? You just decide one day that your baby is ready. You go through the nightly routine, and when 'bedtime' comes, put them in their crib, walk away and wait. Accurate, yes. Easy? NO friggin way! What ensues is insanity.. Crying. Followed by screaming. Followed by choking, gagging and yes, puke. Oh wait! That wasn't your experience? You put your baby in bed and they just fell asleep? Well, isnt that wonderful for you. But I'm sure that my exhausted friend, who is still struggling with her four year old at bedtime does NOT give a shit how successful you were. She just wants a few more hours of sleep, and her kid is just nooot there yet. So, this is my trouble. I have a 10 month old who does not appear to be able to put himself to sleep, nor does he appear able to stay asleep. It wouldnt be such a predicament if his little brother wasnt due to arrive in approximately 15 weeks.
As usual, I have been bombarded with suggestions on what to do. Many believe that letting a baby cry for a few minutes is perfectly healthy and will 'strengthen their lungs'. I on the hand, believe this theory is a complete and total crock of shit. Do I want my child to manipulate me until they are grown and ready to leave home? Hell no! So here is my dilemna. I would have no problem allowing an infant to cry for a little bit in hopes of soothing himself to sleep. But in our case, there is something bigger going on- teething. Yes, those little enamel-covered bastards are giving us all pure hell. I have exhausted myself looking solutions, but but nothing works! I've tried homepathic orajel, Camillia, Tylenol, Motrin, Advil, teething necklaces, teething rings, you name it. Nothing seems to help! We get a week to ten days of miserable nights, then it reaaally comes to a head. That night, when we are all at our wits end, he sleeps a longer stretch. I strongly believe that this is the reason that I cant justify letting him cry it out. Having said all that, I have decided that when baby number 2 arrives, I am going to attempt a few different approaches when it comes to sleeping habits. No bedsharing if at all possible! Also, no rocking baby to sleep. Putting him down while he is sleepy, but not asleep. This way, maybe I might have a shot at getting him back to sleep in leas than 2 hours. None of this desperate rocking for hours on end. Now I know what you're thinking, babies are babies. They need to be rocked, they need to feel loved. Well, chances are, if you are thinking this, you don't have a child of your own. Most mothers would agree, we are at our best when we are not desperately tired. Our bodies cannot produce the milk that we need to nurture these bundles of joy without some form of sleep. That in itself if love in the truest form.
No comments:
Post a Comment